I am the landlord and tenant of my own body.
Respect that I both own and inhabit my own body. I am the landlord. I can grant access to the building. I can change the wallpaper, drill holes in the wall. I maintain the well-being of the building.
Simultaneously, I am the tenant of my own body. I inhabit the physical space, but I am not always mentally present. Sometimes, landlord and tenant disagree. The landlord occasionally wants to let guests in, but the apartment is my own space. As the tenant, I control access to my own space. Somedays, I want guests, and I open up my home to friends. Other times, I wish to be left alone, or do not wish certain people to enter. That is my prerogative. As landlord, I can physically grant them access, but as tenant, I have the final say in who gets to enter.
I am the landlord and tenant of my own body. Respect that.
- Memo to Republican men: Please shut up about rape (salon.com)
- Republican Hopeful Says Abortion Is “More Violent” Than That “Rape Thing” (thefrisky.com)
- Rape, Abortion, Contraception and Reproductive Rights (theleftcoaster.com)
- [link] Men talking about women’s right to choose (slendermeans.wordpress.com)
- Richard Mourdock, Mitt Romney and the GOP Defense of Coerced Mating (theatlantic.com)