Update: I thoughtlessly posted this, not realizing how heteronormative it is. My apologies. The piece was intended for the clueless daters of any gender who prefer to date those that identify as women.
- Aretha said it best; RESPECT. Respect us, our bodies, and our opinions. Also, remember that we are more than the sum of our reproductive organs.
- Women do not communicate directly. We communicate in a more round-about way, designed to allow for disagreement without conflict. So when we say, “Gosh, it’s late and I’m exhausted,” we mean that it’s time to call it a night. Take the hint.
- Learn to read body language; if you try the sneaky overarm movement (and believe us, we know you’re faking that yawn,) and we slide away, take the hint.
- Don’t call us crazy. Unless we’ve torched your car, shaved our hair into designs of goldfish, or attempted to eat the cat. Those are crazy actions. Yelling at you because you’ve been dodging our calls and we just found out that we’re pregnant does not give you the excuse to say “B****** be crazy.”
- The exam did not rape you. You are not going to have forced sexual intercourse with the other players in xbox live. All you are doing is enabling rapists to get away with rape. So stop.
- Our periods do not invalidate our emotions. They just diminish our ability to tolerate things. Besides it’s not like men don’t have hormonal cycles, either. Ironically enough, PMS is an influx of testosterone.
- Women are not monolithic entities. What makes one woman happy may not work for another woman.
- Women do not owe you their attention, time or affection. Even if you have been her friend forever, you are NOT entitled to her love. So stop whining about the Friend Zone.
- Women generally like sensitive men. That does not mean, whiny spineless symphocant. It means a man who stands up for himself, is respectful, and understands how to communicate. The whole whiny spineless slob versus the puppy kicking, womanizing jerk is an arbitrary binary.
- Some women don’t want to have sex with men. That does not mean that they just need the Right experience (aka with you.) That does not mean that they will fulfill your fantasies. So stop asking them that.
- The same goes for women who do want to have sex with men. If they have not expressed any interest in sex with you, don’t ask them.
- Saying something offensive is like stepping on people’s toes. Sometimes you did it intentionally. But most of the time, when you step on someone’s toes, you didn’t mean to. But you apologize anyway because regardless of your intent, you hurt them.
What do you think? Is there anything else I missed? Leave advice in the comments!
- Pull Into The Friend Zone: We’re Not Dating If We Don’t Go On Dates! (madamenoire.com)